Prof. Dr. Judy Hutchings
Prof. Dr. Judy Hutchings was an NHS Consultant Clinical Psychologist in North West Wales with responsibility for services for children with behavioral problems and she still retains an honorary contract with the Trust. Since 1988 she held a joint appointment with Bangor University where she has continued to work as Director of the Centre for Evidence Based Early Intervention. She has run and evaluated parenting programs since 1976. She has developed and evaluated intensive and one to one programs for parents of children with severe behavioral problems and also delivered the Incredible Years (IY) parent, child and teacher programs since 1998. She was funded for seven years by the Welsh Government to support the introduction of parenting program in preventive Sure Start services and introduced the IY child and teacher programs across Wales. For several years, she advised the Westminster Government and worked for them on the evaluation of the Pathfinder Early Intervention Parenting Project. She has undertaken a number of research projects on aspects of services for conduct disordered children including a randomized controlled trial study of an intensive coaching intervention with a four-year follow-up for. She has evaluated several of the IY parent programs as well as the IY child and teacher programs in Wales. She run training workshops in Bangor for parent, child and teacher program and continues to research and support interventions for parents, children and teachers. She is currently working with colleagues in Cape Town and Oxford Universities on the development and evaluation of a low-cost parenting program that they have trialed in South Africa and she is also involved in its implementation in the Philippines and advising on its adaptation for a family reintegration program in Uganda. She has published extensively and lectured and taught in many European countries as well as in Australia and South Africa. In 2011, she was awarded an OBE (the Order of the British Empire) for her work with children and families.
- Williams, M. E., Hastings, R., Charles, J., Evans, S., & Hutchings, J. (2017). The Parenting for Autism, Language, And Communication Evaluation Study (PALACES): protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open, Publication in press.
- Hutchings, J and Williams M.E (2017) Taking the Incredible Years child and teacher programmes to scale in Wales. Childhood Education, 93, 20-28. doi:10.1080/0
- Hutchings, J., Griffith, N., Bywater, T., & Williams, M.E. (2016). Evaluating the Incredible Years Toddler Parenting programme with parents of toddlers in disadvantaged (Flying Start) areas of Wales. Child: Care, Health and Development. doi:10.1111/cch.12415
- Gridley, N., Baker-Henningham, H. & Hutchings, J (2016). Measuring Parental Language to Target Families for Early-intervention Services, Child Care in Practice published online 13 July 2016: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13575279.2016.1188761
- Jones, C., Erjavec, M., Viktor, S. & Hutchings, J. (2016). Outcomes of a Comparison Study into a Group-Based Infant Parenting Programme. Journal of Child and Family Studies (2016) 25:3309–3321 DOI 10.1007/s10826-016-0489-3